Monday, August 18, 2008

Triple Oners

Forgive the late update...this week has been horrendously busy for me. Seriously, I havent been this exhausted since the Tae Kwon Do green belt test...

First, let me say Dirgahayu Indonesia, 63 Tahun Merdeka!!!! (Happy 63th Birthday Indonesia). May this country reign long and prosperous years to come!!

17 of August had been the best day for me ever!! Why? well, I'm getting to that XD. read on below.XD.

Warning: The matterials below are SUPER LONG ENTRY. please, bear them with me as I had great fun in writing them ;).

On to my story. As you know this week I begun my days as a University Student in Bandung Institute of Technology. And the same as most Universities, Bandung Institute of Technology (I'll abb. it as ITB) has their own way of welcoming the newcomers.

Er, should I say chaos here instead?

Anyhooo...it's a one-week activity involving stuffs for the newcomers to do so they'd get to know their seniors and the whole wide, inhumanely-ginormous site of the campus.

And so, the week starts with a placement test. Being someone who's had a too-long holiday, it's not strange for me to quickly lost focus on the question sheet and doodle on it instead. And it turns out that the sheet+the answer sheet had to be returned back to the teachers.

Dang it.

And then I went to the Welcoming Ceremony reharsal. The whole thing was quite interesting, counting the mass number of times the students yawned throughout the segments, and most of them fell into a deep sleep afterwards. Nope, not me. I only dozed off ;).

And then Tuesday came. For the upcoming activity (I'll call it OSPEK instead. I dunno the eng. word for it ;o) the students had to be divided into groups under 2 coordinators for the whole week, and thus is how I got into the group of Triple One (it's 111 in number ;D ).

Being someone who's silent at first time activity, I kept mostly all to myself while the people around me interracted, introducing oneself to another. I'm not the type to suddenly go introducing myself to someone, and so I kept quiet. But then someone introduced themself to me, and I was pulled back from my thoughts harsly back to the earth.

I forgot who that person was, but that triggered a mass chain of introduction from the others. I was really shocked really. Do you know that painting that has a man in it looking like he's shouting in agony? I forgot who painted that (and my major is supposed to be art :-( ).

And that's how I get to know the girls. They're Susan, Gagas, Icha, Michiko, Ilam, Sausan, Vika, Inna and Andita. It took a while, but I manage to remember their name, though usually 'errr..what's your name again?' blurts out of my mouth. Forgive me ;).

So very different and new people I have meet, I thought. And it soon be like that when 111 was finally complete and we're all gathered for a round of introductions, as we're pretty much going to be together 24/7 from now on.

Sweet.

Just what I love (please not that this is heavily sarcasm, people).

And so I get to know the boys : Ryan, Ginanjar, Andre, Akbar, James, Arif, Hada and Halim. We all came from different cities, and even from different islands, different dialects, ethnics, and religions in one group, and yet we are still one. I love my country so much!!!

The coordinators for my group are Farhan from Civil Tech '07 and Youji (who made sure that we didnt call her by her real name. Which is Tiwi by the way ;D )of Biology '07. They're both nuts and they're great fun to hang around with. In the other hand, they're really professional in doing their jobs and I cant say how grateful I am for having them to guide my days in this first week of college. A great round of applause are given to them from me. Thanks you guys!!!

And so, the week began. After the rounds of introductions (and by this time, I am sure that I will strat introducing myself as 'Maste' for years to come. Good grief) we had to go look for a base camp. It is essentials, according to the coordinators (which will be called Taplok onwards), since we're going to have somewhere to do our works in.

Yessss...great. only one day back and I've already got work to do.

Moving on, we finally settled at James's Aunt house. and since then until 10.00 pm at night, we worked our @$$es off (forgive the language, but I was SERIOUSLY AS HELL extremely exhausted). We made nametags, decorated diaries for the week-long OSPEK. It was tiring, yes, but we had great fun making them. That night we bonded off with each other and that time, I'm certain, that we're going to be great pals years to come (I'm getting sentimental...).

Wednesday came, first we had the extremely boring Welcoming Ceromony, then it's the first day of OSPEK for me. It wasnt until 6 o'clock when were'out in the yard, gathered from group 1 till group 140. I met my team mates once again, and they're equally confused as I am.

What the heck are we doing here? rang in our minds. But that question will be answered sooner than we thought.

We were mobilized towards the campus at night time, dressed in our college jacket, the silly-decorated hats and nametages that we made the other day and walked onwards to campus. And God forbid that it's extemely a long way to go!! oh mama...my legs will never be the same *sigh*. It was a quarter to our destinations when I first heard it.

Drums were rolling. And then I found out that we're brought in for the OSPEK opening. Seriously, that time I felt like a prisoner taken captive into the enemies' lair with what the entire safety patrols all leering at me, for what I dont know.

The opening was even more chaos than other activities I had before in the campus. The timid and nervous freshmen were there, sitted down in the basketball court waiting for what unknown things to come, when all the seniors gathered around us. I had no problem if they're only watching silently, but they actuall began to catcalls and I hated people doing that. My finger is twitching, and I'm ready to flip them THE finger anytime soon, but norms and rules came to my mind and I have to held myself in *disappointed sigh*.And that didnt stop there, it continued all into the night till the point where the seniors were threatening the freshmen's safety that the safety patrols had to barricade us to avoid any bloodshed. No sarcasm here people, I'm serious.

by the way, read part 2 now XD. I dont want this entry to be TOO long.

No comments: